Saturday, October 9, 2010

Minimizing the role of health insurance companies

To me, one of the biggest problems in the US is the rise in power and importance of health insurance companies.  Some of my loyal readers might know I was against the health care reform bill because it did not get rid of the prominence of insurance companies.  The US is a mostly free market so they have a right to participate, but I would like to see health insurance be more like car insurance, something you have to protect you against catastrophic injury.  They do have catastrophic health insurance in some states, but it's nearly as expensive as a Blue Cross/Blue Shield plan.

The real problem is the free market does not rule in US health care.  Can you shop around for the best doctor for your price range?  No, because you have no idea what they charge.  Does all of your money go to the doctor?  No, the insurance company takes a huge cut.  How else do you think UHC made enough money to overpay its CEO?  Have you ever tried to get treated without insurance?  No, because some doctors won't even see you because they worry you'll be a dead beat or something.

Without insurance companies, healthcare could be just something else you can research to find the best care for your dollar.  Feeling sick?  You can go to the doctor's office and pay $50 out of pocket for the visit or whatever.  You wouldn't need to fill out an excessive number of forms unless you were going to use your catastrophic insurance.

You might say, "Whoa, dude.  $50 a visit is pretty steep.  Where am I going to get that scratch?"  Firstly, the money employers currently pay to the insurance companies would go to you so your salary would rise.  Secondly, the money you pay to the insurance companies out of your paycheck would go to you so your salary would rise.  Thirdly, the government could offer a tax credit on health expenditures over $5k.  Fourthly, think of all the procedures or treatments the insurance companies do not cover.  Few will pick up preventative medicine so you're already spending more money than you think.  Fifthly, the frickin' copays for most visits are already $20-30 so it's not like your healthcare is currently free.

I honestly believe a minimal presence of the insurance companies would drop prices overall which would allow more people to afford care and I think more people would be able to afford to go in for preventative treatment.  Equally importantly, you would have control over which doctors you see or which hospitals you visit.  You would no longer get hassled about whether your injury is due to an auto accident or something work related.  If you don't claim workers' comp then it's by default something you should cover out of your pocket.

I think it's a myth that people would spend more money than they do now because the employers' cut could be given to the employees' pocket.  Also, think of the administrative savings if you mostly eliminate the middlemen, especially middlemen who are interested in increasing their profits rather than ensuring your health.

I'm no economics or social policy expert so I welcome other viewpoints.  I'm just sick and tired of being treated like a potential deadbeat when I go to the doctor.  I'm also sick of worrying about whether a doctor I visit is in my network or whatever.  I should have complete control over my treatment.  Also, I should be responsible for maintaining my medical records so that my care is portable.

No comments: