Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Getting excited

Even though buying a house is a huge pain in the ass, I'm starting to get excited about it. My broker called this afternoon and I'm just a couple of easily-accomplished steps away from securing the loan. Once I do that, the rest is pure formality. I've had to jump through some pretty big hoops, but it's ok. You've got to play the game.

The bad news is I won't have any cash to use to immediately pimp the place out, but I think I can scrape some together to install a shower door in the master bathroom. I don't like shower curtains and shower doors are easier to clean. I think they look nicer as well.

The other good news is that it looks like I get to use the money that goes into escrow to pay the school taxes this September. That contradicts what the first broker told me, but it seems right to me. That means I don't need to posse up $6k in three months. I might still save up the money in case he's wrong, but I hope not. If he's right, then I'll use the money to replace the water heaters with tankless. I'll get 30% of my costs, up to $1500 reimbursed next year as a tax credit. Sweet. With the $8k tax credit for first time homebuyers, I could be getting well in excess of $10k back next spring. Super sweet.

No comments: