Wednesday, September 16, 2009

10 foot TV

My home theater setup is pretty sweet, but the projector doesn't have a TV tuner.  Every TV these days has a tuner built in so you can't buy external ones anymore.  I could get a TiVo, but they're expensive and require a subscription.  My friend has a DVD recorder from Toshiba that has a TV tuner and 1080 p output via HDMI.  I borrowed it over the weekend and tried it out tonight in combination with my powered antenna. 

It's pretty damn sweet and I get nearly every channel that I get upstairs.  FOX is weaker, but I'm going to try to move the antenna closer to the window.  I get CBS without breaking a sweat and they have the Superbowl this season so I'm good to go there.  I'm going to order up my own unit.  I'm definitely going to try it out with football this weekend.  Even if FOX doesn't come in perfectly, I can still watch football on CBS during the day and I can catch the late game on NBC.

It's good that there are relatively low cost solutions to my problems.  My goal is to have the basement pimped out by the Superbowl so that I can have some people over.

No comments: