Saturday, January 1, 2011

Appletorte

In an effort to cut down on the amount of sugar I eat, I'm trying to eat only desserts that are homemade. I felt like something to celebrate the new year so I made an appletorte using a recipe from Bittman's The Best Recipes in the World.

Apparently, it's a Scandinavian dish and the recommended apples are Cortland, Rome, Golden Delicious or McIntosh

Pinch of salt
1t baking powder
1t ground cinnamon
2C flour
0.5lb butter (two sticks), softened
1C sugar
3 eggs
4C peeled, cored and sliced apples (about 4)
Ice cream, creme fraiche, sour cream or sweetened whipped cream for serving.

1. Preheat the oven to 350F. Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl. Use an electric mixer to cream the butter and sugar together, then add the eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition until the mixture is smooth. By hand, stir in the dry ingredients, stirring just to combine; do not beat. Stir in the apples.
2. Grease and four a 9- or 10-inch springform or tube pan and pour in the batter; sprinkle liberally with sugar. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 45 minutes or a little longer. Cool on a rack, then remove from the pan and serve with the ice cream or other topping.

As you can read, this recipe is pretty simple, but I had trouble mixing everything together. The butter-egg-sugar mixture gets thick and the dry ingredients didn't want to combine. I also had a hard time mixing the apple slices in well as you can see from the picture - most of the slices ended up on one side. In any case, I had a piece with Cool Whip and it was pretty darn good so I would definitely make it again.

It took about 55 minutes to cook for me.

86 recipes down so just 14 to go.

No comments: