Friday, January 21, 2011

Pimpin' out my bathroom

Today the plumber and his assistant brother came to install my new Toto toilet and an Ariston POU heater. The old toilet wasn't flushing well and there was a leak such that the tank slowly drained out. It's the toilet guests use and I want to have a rock solid toilet. Enter the Toto. I got a 1.28g per flush bad boy with cyclone action and Sanagloss to keep it nice and shiny. I even got the soft close seat so it won't bang shut if you let go of it. The cyclone action is pretty cool and my plumber claims you can flush down a cantaloupe, but I don't want to test that theory out.

It's also the toilet installed for the super fat guy so it should be pretty sturdy for the rest of us. You won't find Toto at Home Depot or Lowe's, but it's much more cost effective than a Kohler or American Standard. It's a toilet you'll find in a commercial building because "it just works."

My tankless water heater provides endless hot water, but it took more than 60s to reach that bathroom's sink. I don't know about you, but I don't want to run water for a minute to heat it up. The Ariston electric POU will keep about 4g of water at 120F and it gets hot instantaneously so there's no wait. He hooked up the cold water to the unit or my tankless would short cycle which just ends up providing hot water to the pipes and not the sink. It takes up all the room under the sink, but I didn't have anything down there anyhow and that bathroom has a large storage closet. He installed a separate breaker for the unit because it'll use 1.5kW of power. If you were to run the hot water and a hair dryer, you'd definitely blow out a fuse.

I wasn't home during the install, but it went off without a hitch. Unfortunately, it took us about 45 minutes to get his rear-wheel drive van turned around since I didn't shovel my driveway. I'm thinking I'm going to need to get a snowblower since I can't be wasting his time and energy.

No comments: