Friday, May 23, 2008

TGIF

Gah. I'm glad that it's Friday afternoon because I've been in a pretty foul mood today due to problems at work. One thing that pisses me off is that people at work aren't very good about giving credit where its due. If I come up with an idea and ask someone to simulate it and they distribute the results, then it shouldn't become the simulating dude's proposal or idea. I mean, it doesn't really matter since we all want the company to do well, but it does affect my reputation which could affect how quickly I get promoted and whatnot.

I'm a principled kind of guy and like to give credit where it's due and I also like to receive it if I deserve it.

The other thing that was really bothering me today is that none of our meetings ever starts on time. People wander in ten or fifteen minutes late and if they're managers, then you need to catch them up on what you've discussed already which takes another ten or fifteen minutes. Then you don't get to cover all of your material so you either run into the next meeting or save it for next time. That's pretty inefficient and is pretty frustrating. However, because everyone has a laptop, there isn't much need for efficiency. You can do some work while waiting for the meeting to start. However, most of the time I need a big block of time to do my work since it can be fairly involved. If I can't do it piecemeal then I end up sitting there twiddling my thumbs waiting for the meeting to start.

My allergies are buggin' me somethin' fierce as well and that always makes me irritable. I think I'll make some dinner and watch some Battlestar Galactica on DVD. Not the most exciting Friday night, but I need to unwind. I think most of my weekend will be pretty chill and I'll definitely appreciate having Monday off.

No comments: