Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Hungry hungry hippo with black hole explained

I ran my problem by my doctor friend, Jen, who fortunately specializes in metabolism. She told me that my diet (South Beach) and exercise regime have contributed enough weight loss in a short amount of time to put my body into starvation mode. Once in starvation mode, your brain tells you to eat and eat and eat to build up some fat stores for the upcoming apocalypse. Unfortunately, I'm trying to lose fat, not retain it so I need to figure out how to get out of starvation mode. Apparently, eating until my wallet is empty isn't quite working. I could eat foods (simple sugars) that are easily converted into fat, but that defeats my goal of getting ripped. I don't really want to stop exercising either since I enjoy that. Hmmm...

Edit: Now that I think about it some more it seems that my new exercise and diet regime has done an excellent job of ratcheting up my metabolism. If that's the case, then I should just eat until I'm full, but make sure that I only eat the "right" foods like whole grains, fruits and vegetables. I'll supplement lunch with a salad from the cafeteria to see if that helps stem the tide.

No comments: