Thursday, February 12, 2009

Unemployment depression

The lack of work has finally got to me this week and has hit me pretty hard. At first, it's kind of nice having some time off. It's a lot easier to run errands during the day when everyone else is at work. However, once you realize that you have time off without pay, it puts a damper on your fun. I would've loved to have visited friends in Hawai'i or elsewhere, but can't spend money that I need for food and rent. Super weak.

What also sucks is that I don't really know what's going to happen at work. The company has been trying to sell itself and may be successful, but what does that mean for me? Will I still have a job? I'd like to think that I'm indispensable, but that's probably just wishful thinking. Let's say I don't have a job. Fortunately, CA has a generous severance law so I should get two months' worth of scratch, but that might only last me two to three months since it's expensive to live out here. The economy is generally in the crapper and there aren't a lot of other jobs out there.

People from work have been leaving in droves now so maybe they won't need to lay anyone off. Heh. I've also seen a crazy amount of LinkedIn activity by my colleagues. That definitely can't be a good thing.

I'll try to stay positive since I still have enough cash for a few months and the economy will turn around.

No comments: