Monday, October 22, 2012

Exercise compromise

I have a tough time getting up early enough Monday morning to exercise so I usually sleep in and miss my workout completely.  This morning I decided to do a shorter workout so I can sleep in a little bit (I still woke up at 5:20) and still get some work in.  

I'm not sure why I thought doing a tabata upperbody workout would be easy.  I did 8 sets, 0:20/0:10, of pullups, pushups, dips and an Indian club workout.  I haven't done squat since getting kneed in the thigh last Monday night so I was definitely feeling it.  I think most of my upperbody strength is held back by weak hands and/or wrists.  I don't know if it's because of too much computer use (carpal tunnel) or what, but my hands don't feel as strong as they should be.  My calluses hurt after a couple of pullups, but eventually I started to get fatigued elsewhere - it traveled down to my arms.

The pushups weren't too bad, but I was nearly too wasted to bang out proper dips.  The Indian club workout is more for loosening up my arms and shoulders than anything.

I wonder if once a week of tabata is sufficient or would more be too much?

No comments: