Saturday, October 13, 2012

Zone One by Colson Whitehead

I got this book from my library on my Kindle because it was highly rated there and I like post-apocalyptic stories.  I'm not a fan of zombies, but this book had a different take.  Unfortunately, it falls completely flat due to the author's pretentious language, do-nothing characters and a slow pace.  The story focuses more on the thoughts of main character rather than the zombies and I was ok with that path until a third of the way through when I realized I didn't really care what happened.

The author should have relied less on his thesaurus and more on better pacing.  Give me a reason to care about someone as mediocre as the main character.  Perhaps it was meant to be ironic, but I'm not a hipster nor do I want to be one.

I do not recommend this book.

No comments: