Monday, October 18, 2010

The world is headed towards nowhere good.

I just read this article on Cracked and, while it was funny, it scared me quite a bit because it's true.  It explains why people buy bottled water, why people pay a premium for Apple and why we're all fucked in the end.  Sure, you can make the case that Apple products offer some unique value, but face it.  A lot of people buy them just because they say Apple on them.  I don't know if there is an alternative for the iPad, but I like my Droid X better than the iPhones I've seen and I know you can get better MP3 players than the iPod.

Anyhow, it's amazing how well marketing works to convince people their are scarcities when we have more now than ever.  People are obsessed with what they don't have when they don't realize how much they really have.  There are people in the US most would consider poor who have cable and a car and enough to eat.  There are people around the world literally eating dirt to stave off hunger.  Crikey.

I need to follow my own advice and focus on what I have.  I need to be more skeptical of the products I buy and I need to learn to entertain myself with things that are mostly free especially when the weather is nice.  Sure, it's nice to laze around and watch football, but it's more fun to throw a real football around or go shoot some hoops or whatever.

No comments: