Friday, June 6, 2008

Friday morning observations with a bullet

Nothing terribly earth shattering:

  • 87 octane gas is down to $4.34/gallon from yesterday's $4.50/gallon
  • It seems only one-third of the people biking in Sunnyvale wear helmets
  • High gas prices haven't changed people's habits of racing to red lights

I spent my walk in this morning thinking about what I would do if I had some property. I think it would be cool to build a small guest house in the yard that was totally off-grid: solar-powered with composting toilets and recycled water. I'm not exactly sure how that would work, but I'm sure it's possible. It would cost a pretty penny, but talk is cheap.

3 comments:

Flora Tseng said...

Depends on the city, it's not easy to get permit for that kind of thing. E.g. some type of property requires at least 9 feet and 6 feet to each side of neighbor, so it's not like you can use all the space you want. The fence can not be more than 6 feet, as I told you, including lattice...etc etc...
And yes, talk is cheap, build needs $$$.
It used to be avg. $200/sq ft to build, so do your calculation.

Flora Tseng said...

oh, forgot to add that it's nice to use all kinds of environmental friendly stuff. most thing I was thinking about is tankless water heater. It does not make sense to keep a TANK of hot water all the time, especially during the summer time. But the drawbacks I read about it keeps me from doing it yet, such as it requires enough water pressure to turn it on, so if someone flushes the toilet, you might all of a sudden get a cold stream. That does not sound so cool. Besides, the much higher price makes it hard to break even... same applies to other energy efficient appliances, what a shame. They should sell them less to encourage installation.

Jeremy said...

Yeah, I know that it would be tough to build a free standing structure in my backyard, but it was something to occupy my mind while I walked to work.

A tankless water heater is the first upgrade I would make to any property. My uncle just built a house with his new wife and he has a couple of them installed (it's a big house). He said that they pay for themselves pretty quickly. I wonder if you could install a pressure booster to make sure that your hot water stays on even if you flush the toilet.