Saturday, June 14, 2008

Ultimate frisbee tournament

I played ultimate frisbee for more than six hours today. Google, Facebook, Apple and Yahoo organized a hat tournament, but we didn't end up drawing teams out of a hat, but that's alright. We played five games and lost the first four, but won a pretty epic battle during the last game. I played well in spurts, but developed calf cramps during the fourth game. I took 500 mg of ibuprofen and toughed out the fifth game. It was a lot of fun and the weather held up - about 80 F with a nice breeze. I'm sure that I got more sun than I should, but I put on 50 SPF sunblock. I think my friend Yvonne uses 75 SPF or something, but 50 was the highest I could find in sweatproof and I sweat a lot.

My neck, feet, knees and calves hurt right now, but it was worth it because most people there were pretty nice and it was good to get out and get some exercise. Hopefully they'll hold something like this more often and it'll get easier as I get into better shape.

3 comments:

Y said...

75?? I think the highest I ever used was 60. I usually use a 40-50, but then I'm not running under the sun.

irishkimchee said...

There isn't a huge benefit to using SPF > 30. Having said that, I slather on SPF 75 onto my face every day...even during the dead of winter. hmmm. The key is to reapply frequently, especially if you do sweat a lot. Also, sunblock doesn't protect you against melanoma, just basal cell and squamous cell carcinomas. In addition to sunblock, limiting your sun exposure is key. Not an easy thing to do in CA. For more info check out: http://www.cmaj.ca/cgi/content/full/173/3/

Jeremy said...

The problem with sunblock is that it is too easy to rub off. As I mentioned, I sweat a lot and use my shirt to wipe off the sweat. That also wipes off the sunblock so I got a little red under my eyes and on my nose. The back of my neck is toasty along with the sides of my lower legs.

Fortunately, I've got aloe vera lotion and Sooth-a-Caine which is the aloe vera lotion plus lidocaine. I got them in Hawai'i and they work like a charm. Don't put the lidocaine stuff on your junk though. It feels really weird.