Saturday, June 21, 2008

Morning "fun"

I was just finishing gassing my car up this morning when I heard a thunk. It's a hard noise to describe, but it sounded like something very heavy, yet a little soft hitting the pavement. I look over to the next island and notice that this old guy had fallen. Another guy there noticed the same thing and we both yell for someone to call 911. The guy is trying to get up, but I tell him to stay down and take it easy. He's conscious, but seems a little disoriented. His wife is in the passenger seat and doesn't even know what's going on so we get her. She doesn't seem to know what to do with the situation so another customer talks to her to keep her calm.

I notice that the clerks are on the phone so I go in to tell them the situation. They're on the phone with the 911 and the dumbasses on the other end are asking all sorts of questions. Just get your ass down here, damnit.

I go back out and notice that the man is bleeding so we get some towels for his head. Fortunately, there is a fire station just three blocks down so they send some EMT and a fire truck and got the guy stabilized. It seems like he got dizzy in the heat and fell over. Hopefully he didn't have a heart attack.

He threw up while the EMT dudes were checking him out and I guess that can be a sign of dehydration. This was at 9:45 this morning, but it was still wicked hot out. It's 17:15 now and it's still really warm. Hopefully it won't be like this for the rest of the summer.

2 comments:

Flora Tseng said...

sounds like you did some good deed today... hopefully the couple got back fine. I wonder how many other incidents happen when it gets hot like this. Did the weather forecast warn people to stay cool? Maybe a good thing to do for the rest of the weekend...

Jeremy said...

Older people need to be more careful during heat waves because they are more susceptible to getting dizzy.

When I left, it looked like the dude was going to be ok.