Monday, June 30, 2008

Dairy --> Grumpy

After all these years, I've finally figured out why I can be moody. It seems that any time I eat or drink a lot of dairy (cheese, ice cream, milk, etc.) my sinuses fill up (dairy encourages mucous formation). Filled sinuses lead to sinus headaches and sinus headaches lead to feeling crappy. Feeling crappy leads to being grumpy and being grumpy leads to being depressed.

For those who like flow charts: Dairy --> extra mucous --> sinus headaches --> grumpy --> depressed --> impatient --> bad day.

I was a bit peckish this morning at work and let some people have it. It felt good at the time, but isn't a good strategy overall since there is no room for lone wolves in high tech.

The simple solution is for me to cut dairy out. I'm not allergic to it because I don't feel like throwing up or crapping after consuming it, but it doesn't seem to be doing me much good. My brother has the same problem, but it's worse for him so he avoids it altogether. I love cheese too much to cut it out, but maybe I should cut back. I can get calcium from green vegetables.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Bro' - Careful about the bridge burning. There is indeed no room for lone wolves.
Your description of what happens when you eat dairy is highly similar to what happens to me. I couldn't concentrate because my frontal sinuses were all jacked with over-flow. A similar event happens when I eat too much sugar (and/or carbohydrates). I strongly encourage to limit your dairy intake and to perceive how you feel upon such limitations.

Jeremy said...

Naw, I'm allowed to blow up at those dudes because I was in the right.

I will definitely cut back on my dairy since I don't like having a head full of burning straw. At least, that's what it feels like.