Tuesday, June 24, 2008

RIP Great Uncle Dale

When I got home tonight there was a message on my machine from my mom. My dad's Uncle Dale had passed away early this morning. I guess he went in his sleep in a chair in the living room with a cat on his lap. That doesn't sound like too bad of a way to go. He was 88 and lived a pretty good life though his only kid, my dad's cousin, is a bit of loser. Well, he's a pretty big loser, but that's a story for another time.

I remember going over to Uncle Dale's for a Christmas party every year when I was younger. He and his family lived in Vancouver, WA and their house had some pretty cool toys. He had a CD player years before they became popular. I remember that he always had tons of candy at his place and I would get sick from it, but I guess that's part of being a kid.

It's too bad that I didn't get to see him before he went, but he didn't suffer and that's all that I ask.

6 comments:

Y said...

I'm sorry to hear that. At first I thought it was your uncle.

Jeremy said...

No, my uncle Dale was named after his uncle Dale. I just call them both Uncle Dale.

My great uncle Dale was a pretty funny dude.

Unknown said...

Yo bro' - definitely a loss. He seemed to die quietly and at peace. I wouldn't mind dying with a cat on my lap either.
I also remember small fragments about the xmas parties...not much..but some.
Great Uncle Dale had his shit together...compassionate, assertive, funny, successful and endearing.

Jeremy said...

Yeah, it makes you wonder how he could have a good-for-nothing loser son.

When is his service?

Unknown said...

Bro' - his service is this Saturday at 4 pm in Gresham.

Jeremy said...

Hopefully they'll have a good spread on Saturday and not beanie weenies and Cheez-Whiz.