Saturday, July 2, 2011

Pinole

I read Born to Run earlier this year and have been intrigued by pinole ever since. I finally decided to make some for an in-game snack since I'll go down to Ithaca this afternoon for some ultimate.

The following recipe is based off one I found online (I doubled it):

1 cup of yellow ground corn meal
1 tsp of ground cinnamon
2 tbs of agave nectar
1 tbs of ground maca root
some chia seeds

Toast the corn meal in a skillet over medium-high heat until it browns up - 5-10 minutes.
Mix toasted corn meal in a bowl with everything else. Add 225 mL of water and mix to thicken. Form into "cookies" and bake at 350F for 10-15 minutes.

After baking, here's what I got:
They sort of look and smell like snickerdoodles, but I'm pretty sure they'll have their own taste. I'll find out later today and will edit this post with the taste results. Maca root has a pretty strong flavor, but so does cinnamon.

7/3/11 edit: I tried a couple of these today and they taste ok. They're really dry so I would add dried fruit and/or some chocolate to them the next time I make them.

No comments: