Saturday, June 14, 2008

Good deed for the day

There was a homeless woman chillin' on the sidewalk outside of Walgreen's who asked me for some spare change when I walked by to pick up my prescriptions (go go allergy meds). I never give money to the homeless because I'm afraid they'll spend it on liquor or drugs. Instead, I bought a $1 pack of fake cheese and pretzel sticks and gave that to her on the way back to my car. She seemed genuinely happy and started chowin' down so I felt pretty good.

Even though the US is going through a tough economic time, I still believe there is more than enough food and resources for everyone. If I was rich, I'd feel guilty buying my second European vacation home when there are people sleeping on the streets or begging for food. Does having nice stuff actually make us happier? I don't think so, but maybe it does for some people since we've been conditioned to be good little consumers. Witness all the people queuing up to get an iPhone. I've seen one in action and they're alright, but not worth $400 nor worth waiting in line overnight. What happens if you're not the first person to get one? Will you be any worse off than you are now?

6 comments:

Flora Tseng said...

I wonder what made you buy the snack for the homeless woman today. Did it strike you that she might be happy with some food? For me, most often I just walk away, because I actually have certain fear for them. Not sure why... Perhaps I am afraid they are not mentally stable or something.

Jeremy said...

I bought her a snack because she asked me for spare change to get some food. She looked pretty hungry. I tried to pick out something decent, but Walgreen's doesn't really have much food. I guess if I was really a nice guy, I would've gone over to Baja Fresh and gotten her a real meal.

Flora Tseng said...

I wonder if you did that, would you find her following you every step you take from now on... or, a line of them showing up by that Walgreen...

Jeremy said...

Well, she was in a wheelchair so I'm pretty sure that I could out-run her and I go to Walgreen's just once a month to get my prescriptions filled. Besides, Walgreen's and the Sunnyvale PD wouldn't let too many homeless hang out there.

I'm not a communist, but I believe that we should try to help everyone out so that no one is destitute.

Unknown said...

Bro' - Does this altruistic spirit apply to the population with which I work?? I am impressed. I also do not like pawning cash as it may be used to purchase cigarettes, alcohol, or other drugs instead of nutritious sustenance..god only knows what is in that fake cheese from Walgreens???

Jeremy said...

Heh. I couldn't tell what ethnicity she was, but it didn't matter. She looked hungry so I bought her a snack.