Sunday, June 22, 2008

Mental filters

Everyone has a filter between their brain and the outside world that keeps private thoughts private. For some reason, my filter seems a bit coarser than others'. I'm pretty well-known to say the "wrong" thing at the "wrong" time. I claim that I'm misunderstood because what I say makes sense in my head, but apparently not in others'. I wonder what that says about me. Do I speak without thinking? I don't know that my brain ever stops and that contributes to my wanderlust and my impatience. You could say that I lack tact, but I wonder if I don't sometimes lack empathy as I can be a bit less emotional than most people.

None of this means that I'm an uncaring robot, but maybe that people need to realize that I don't always mean what I say the way that most people would understand it.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Bro - those are heavy thoughts for a Sunday. I think you are like me: thinking all the time to the point of dry over-analytical affect. I have similar modes of communication. Many times I say the wrong thing at the wrong time. However, empathy can be communicated in much as "how" something is said in addition to "what" is being said. A good practice might be to imagine how your audience might receive your thoughts, etc...

Jeremy said...

Heh. The post wasn't meant to be that heavy. I think that people who know me know that I mean well so I usually get the benefit of the doubt. At least I hope I do.

Unknown said...

Dude - I totally pissed off a classmate who asked me questions last night regarding a presentation. He lit me up with an e-mail bomb saying that I "belittled" him. I guess I have some work to do with being sensitive...