Thursday, June 5, 2008

Long-tail bikes

With the price of gas going up, up and up, I'm thinking about eventually getting a bike that can haul stuff. You can get trailer hitches for regular bikes, but that seems like a kludge to me and I'm all about the right tool for the right job.

The bike shown here is a Kona Ute and sells for about $900 which is a lot of money, but not when you consider that it could save you $30/week in gas. I go to the grocery store once a week, but it's less than two miles away. I usually buy two grocery bags' worth of stuff and that could easily fit on the storage rack of a long-tail. I would need to get some cargo pods or something similar, but I'm sure those aren't too hard to find.

Of course, I need to hold off on the big purchases until I make the biggest purchase of them all early next year, but I can start saving up money for something like this. Biking makes a lot of sense financially and healthwise, but unfortunately, people out here drive like they're dumb, drunk and blind. At least they'll soon be doing that in Geo Metros and not Hummers, but that transition will take some time.

5 comments:

postyum said...

yo, you can also just get a regular bike and have a rack added to it. you then hitch panniers to it as needed to haul stuff around. hope that helps. -lisa

postyum said...

forgot to add -- d. got his customized bike racks from this place:

http://www.oldmanmountain.com/Pages/RackPages/RearRacks.html

Unknown said...

bro' - the oldmanmountain racks are heavy duty mofos! I looked into those when I bought my bike rack. I can hold a week's worth of groceries in two panniers.
Gas is crazy ridiculous. I am sure the Feds and GW will lower the prices right before the General Election in November to boost votes for McCain.

Jeremy said...

Yeah, I could get a rack for my road bike and put some panniers to it, but I heard that it can really mess with your center of gravity and can make the bike difficult to handle. It would certainly be cheaper than getting another bike.

Jeremy said...

Where would you guys suggest getting panniers? I checked the Old Man Mountain site and the racks look pretty sturdy.