Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Housing

I've been doing some serious thinking the past couple of days and I think that I'm going to shoot for a condo or townhouse here in Sunnyvale. They're cheaper and certainly less work. I ran over my finances and I don't think that I can afford a real house because the mortgage would eat up everything. I think I can get a decent place with inside laundry for less than $400k, which would lead to a mortgage payment of about $2500/month. That's not great, but not terrible. Of course, I'd have to pay the HOA, but that would still leave some money left over for vacations and whatnot. If I get a house then I won't have enough money to enjoy it.

The only problem is that I don't do too well with people living above me so I hope I can get a townhouse or at least the upper floor. We'll see.

3 comments:

Flora Tseng said...

a condo in sunnyvale vs. a townhouse in santa clara or campbell or the similar, which one would you prefer? :)

Jeremy said...

Sunnyvale. I want to be able to walk or bike to work.

Flora Tseng said...

most likely your home would last longer than your work though...

Oh, in your equation, don't forget to throw in property tax as well. Sunnyvale is around 1.14% of your house value. Cheers.