Sunday, July 19, 2009

Giant Ledge and Panther Mountain

Yesterday, I went hiking up Giant Ledge and Panther Mountain with the Hiking Mates.  This hike was my first time in the Catskills and it was great fun.  We met at 8 and were at the trailhead by about 10.  We were a big group of about 12 or 13 people.  Everyone was nice and friendly and no one minded that I powered up the mountain ahead of everyone else.  I need to get my heart rate up to get exercise so I need to hike fast.  My legs are relatively long as well.

Giant Ledge is along the ridge of the mountain and offers some pretty cool shots like the two below:
 
Panther Mountain is one of the Catskills "high peaks" so I'm on my way to the Catskills 35 badge (like I give a shit though).  The summit is about 3720 feet up, which is nothing out West, but is pretty high for around here.
Here is a view from the summit:

The Hiking Mates is a great group and the organizer was on point for this trip.  He was prepared, made sure everyone did alright, yet wasn't overbearing.

Here is the obligatory video I made:

No comments: