Thursday, January 29, 2009

Crappy economy

This bad economy has got me down. Tech companies are laying people off left and right around here which is going to make it tough for me to find a job. My big advantage is that I'm an American, but some of the thousands of people laid off are also probably citizens as well and they have more experience.

My biggest problem is a lack of publications. I'm well-qualified to work in industry because they don't really care about papers, but I think most of the jobs available to me now are in academia or with the government. Those folk definitely care about publications. Maybe I can quickly write two or three this weekend and get them published. Heh. Fat chance of that since I'll watch the Super Bowl on Sunday.

I've still got my house down payment in the bank, but that isn't going to last long since the cost of living around here is fairly high. I'm willing to relocate to other states, but would really prefer to stay around here since I like the combination of weather and culture. There are also more jobs in my field here so if one company goes under, there are others to work for. That's not going to happen in New Mexico or wherever.

Gah. I'll try to think positively, but it's tough. The longer I'm without work/pay, the harder it gets.

No comments: