Monday, January 12, 2009

Tasty pizza

I hadn't made a pizza in a while so today was the day to change that. I made the crust this morning:

3 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup corn meal
2 tsp kosher salt
3 tsp active dry yeast (1 tsp for every cup of flour)
2 tbs olive oil
1.25 cup water
Minced fresh garlic
Italian seasoning
Red pepper flakes

Whole wheat flour is hard to work with, but I put my food processor to work. I combined the dry ingredients first and then poured in the oil and water until it formed a nice dough ball. You can let it rise at room temperature for 1-2 hours, but I prefer to let it rise in the fridge for 6-7 hours. I think when it rises more slowly in the fridge and this is preferred. I'm no expert though. Take the dough out about an hour before you're going to work with it. Let it relax at room temperature and it'll be easier to work with. The corn meal provides a crunchier crust though also makes the dough tough to work with. I'm not sure I would use whole wheat and corn meal if I'm mixing and kneading by hand.

I used natural ground pork, natural Italian salami, red pepper and sweet onion for the toppings. The red sauce was homemade from fresh tomatoes. The mozzarella cheese came from Safeway. Heck, I know I'm no saint, but the pizza is nearly sustainable. Heh.

It turned out really well and made a lot of leftovers so I'll be grubbin' down this week for sure. I put a couple of pieces in the freezer for later.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That looks really yummy. I've never been able to make pizza dough/crust properly...I can never get that chewy/crusty texture. :(

Jeremy said...

I think the trick is in putting some corn meal into the dough and using a pizza stone.