Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Somewhat sustainable whole wheat pancakes

Since I've got the time, I thought I would make some buttermilk pancakes using a family recipe. I guess it originally comes from my aunt's husband grandmother, but my parents have been using it since I can remember.

This recipe is ok to double.

0.5 C butter (whole stick)
1.5 C flour
1 T baking powder
1 t soda
1 t salt
3 eggs
1 T sugar
2 C buttermilk

Melt butter and set aside to cool slightly. Mix eggs and sugar in large bowl. Sift together flour, baking powder, soda and salt in separate bowl. Add melted butter to egg mixture. Alternately stir in buttermilk and flour mixture to egg mixture until batter is moist, but not stirred too much.

Slightly grease griddle and cook at 450 F for pancakes. Batter is also good for waffles.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My batter looks a little darker than usual because I used whole wheat flour. It's "better" for you, but does provide quite a bit of bulk to the pancakes. They're good with maple syrup, butter or fresh fruit. Blueberries and bananas are also really tasty baked in.

No comments: