Sunday, January 18, 2009

New pool cue

Last night was a Yahoo groups pool night so I got to try out the stick I got for Christmas. It's a Cuetec with a fiberglass shell over a wood core. The fiberglass makes it a bit slick, but ding resistant. I was happy to learn that it's a pretty good beginner's stick according to folks in the know who were there. I didn't shoot well at all, but I'm not going to blame the stick. I think my problem is that I over think shots. I didn't scratch on the eight ball nor did I give anyone ball in hand on the eight. I even won a few games with some pretty good shots. Not too shabby eh? It was distressing to find out that I would rank out as a 2 in pool league rankings - they go from 2 to 7 in eight ball. I guess I knew I was a beginner, but I didn't realize that I was a bottom-feeder. Rather than cry about it, when my work situation settles down, I'll join up with a team in a pool league. I'll get to play about once a week. The team can have up to eight people, but only five get to play. However, there is a skill cap for the five - add up everyone's ranking - so they like to have chumps like me to be well below the cap. We'll see.

It was another sausage fest last night and two of the few women that did show up bailed early. One of the best players there is a Japanese woman and I was teamed up with her a couple of times and got to watch her work the table like magic. She told me that she got better by joining a league, but it turns out that she really got better by dating a dude who teaches people how to play. Heh. Maybe I should date her and she can teach me.

No comments: