Sunday, January 4, 2009

Sustainable fajitas

I had a hankering for fajitas so I got some grass-fed flank steak at Dittmer's. It wasn't cheap, but I'm not too concerned about that. The cow wasn't completely grass-fed and was finished with a little bit of corn, but I guess that's ok. It came from the Midwest too, but I've had trouble finding local meat.
I cut the steak into thin strips and marinated them in cumin, olive oil, Insanity Sauce, tabasco sauce, salt and mesquite flavoring. I browned it up with some organic red pepper and yellow onion. I have to say that the grass-fed meat tastes different than corn-fed. I don't know if it's better, but it's definitely different.

The whole wheat tortillas were pretty easy to make. I put whole wheat flour, salt, oil and water into my food processor and let it rest for a few hours wrapped in parchment paper. I divided the dough into six parts and then rolled out the tortillas, frying them one at a time. As you can see, they actually look like tortillas, but they were a little denser than expected.

I used jalapeno jack-flavored almond cheese to add some more flavor to the fajitas. They weren't too bad, but I think I need some sour cream or guacamole to cut the dryness of the tortillas. Neither of those fits in my no-processed rules, but I think I can bend them a little in order to pimp my meal.

No comments: