Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Frustrations with American health care

As you know, my left leg is pretty sore from the trauma of my basketball-induced injury. I went to the Urgent Care on Sunday and got some x-rays, but it's still sore and I want to make sure that nothing is torn so I decided to make an appointment with an orthopaedic doctor. I called this morning and the woman on the phone was pretty rude. Their first response boils down to "What do you want?" or "Why do you need to see the doctor?" That's a fair enough question, but when you ask it, don't imply that I'm a hypochondriac. Also, when I tell you that I think I've found my chart number, don't interrupt me as I read it off to ask for my last name. The administrative people associated with this hospital/medical group are actually pretty rude. The nurses and doctors are alright, but always rushed. I guess there are just too many people in the Bay Area.

Unfortunately, the soonest appointment is a week from this Thursday during lunch. Oh well. I think I can tough it out until then. I think my knee is ok, but I want to make sure and I also need to get a treatment plan for getting my leg joints back into fighting shape. My right knee is starting to get a little sore now because I am overcompensating.

The good news is that I was able to get my ankle splint into my shoe so I don't have to wear flip-flops to work. My feet got a little cold yesterday.

6 comments:

rly said...

do you have PPO or HMO?

there's some really good supplements at whole foods that might help. knee problems are terrible. hope you get better soon!

Jeremy said...

I have a PPO which is good. I haven't had any luck with HMO.

Which supplements do you recommend? Glucosamine? Chondroitin? I'm not a big fan of taking stuff because it can be hard on your liver, but I don't want to be Captain Limpy.

Unknown said...

Bro - I take Glucosamine and MSM (it's ideal if they are contained within the same pill). That's a big annoying bummer about the knee still hurting. Good to get more info. Hope it turns out alright. Don't want a willy gimp-gimp brother limping around!

irishkimchee said...

You can take glucosamine if you want because it may help, and it won't hurt. I've had good success with it in my elderly patients who have degenerative joint issues (i.e. osteoarthritis) which I'm pretty sure you don't have.

That sucks that the administrative assistant was rude to you. Your knee probably hurts more because inflammation generally gets worse before it gets better. I think if you keep with the plan that you have right now, you should be okay. I don't know what kind of exam the urgent care doc did on you, but the physical exam is pretty sensitive and specific at picking up ligament/meniscus injuries. Depending on what your pretest probability is that you tore a ligament/meniscus the physical exam is pretty near as sensitive and specific as an MRI.

At any rate, I am curious to know what the sports med jock...i mean doc, has to say. After all, what do I know? I just tinker around with insulin and thyroid medicine all day. :)

Jeremy said...

Ok, I'll pick up some glucosamine when I'm at Target next. It can't hurt and might help.

I know I sound a bit like a hypochondriac, but it's important to me that my knees are in tip-top shape because my favorite sports all involve running around a lot. I think I'll know how I'm doing much better in nine days when I have my appointment. I'll have the dude make sure everything is healing fine and then have him give me a recovery plan or maybe a referral to a physical therapist.

It's a good thing that I'm losing weight because then there's less stress on my joints.

rly said...

Yeah... glucosamine, chondroitin, msm. There's one called Joint Formula they sell at trader joe's. it's not the trader joe's brand but it's the best one i've tried so far... liquid capsule. not sure if that's what makes the difference.