Friday, July 4, 2008

Healthy burger dinner

Even though I'm not going to officially start the South Beach Diet until early next week, I'm trying to follow the principles until then. It's the Fourth of July so I thought I would grill something. I got some organic ground beef and salad fixings. In the picture is a burger using a big lettuce leaf instead of a bun, a red leaf salad with green onions and feta and a glass of plain almond milk. There is chopped spinach in the burger so it should be pretty healthy. The South Beach Diet book said that the main parts of burgers and sandwiches are more important than the bread or bun and it's right. The burger tasted just as good with the lettuce wrap, I ate less calories and less starch and simple sugars. I think I'll use lettuce instead of bread for sandwiches next week since lunch meats and cheeses are allowed even during Phase I.

I'm still skeptical that I'm going to lose 8-13 pounds during the two weeks of Phase I, but we'll see. I'm going to stick to the plan because I want to lose the weight. Most of my extra poundage is around the waist which indicates metabolic syndrome or pre-diabetes. Not cool. It's interesting that your body stores the fat centrally which still keeps your limbs strong and flexible. You've got fat backup in case of famine without impacting your ability to get more food or fight off predators.

No comments: