Monday, July 21, 2008

South Beach Diet, Phase I: Day 14

Breakfast: Sausage and cheese
Lunch: Meatloaf and salad
Dinner: Burger in lettuce, a glass of milk and salad
Snack: String cheese
Exercise: None

Ah. Today is the last day of the restrictive Phase I. Super ultra mega sweet. I'm definitely ready for carbs and fruit, but I feel pretty good and don't really crave sweet stuff anymore. I also like being leaner. I've gotten beefcake enough that my pants don't fit quite right anymore. Sweet.

Tomorrow I can start adding in carbs and fruit, but in moderation. I hit Trader Joe's after work tonight to get some supplies and had great luck. They aren't as expensive as I remember or maybe Safeway is a lot more now than before. I got several bread products and each is made from 100% whole grain with low to no sugar. Whole grain means a lot of fiber which should keep the glycemic load pretty low. I got some organic multigrain hot cereal that will cook faster than my steel cut oats. I got whole wheat tortillas for fajitas tomorrow night, whole wheat English muffins for breakfast and also got some whole wheat pitas for sandwiches this week. Not a bad haul and just about everything was reasonably priced. Even though the carbs are coming with a lot of fiber and are from multigrains, I can't eat too many of them. I'll have to keep an eye on my fruit intake as well.

I'm going to allow myself one dessert each week and it can be whatever the heck I want. I haven't decided if I should get something tomorrow to celebrate or if I should wait for the weekend to get something from the farmer's market. I think I'll have better luck if I get a single serving of something. I don't have enough willpower to not plow through an entire bag of Oreos or a whole cake or something. There is a stall that sells small cheesecakes. Maybe I'll give one of those a try.

No comments: