Saturday, July 19, 2008

South Beach Diet, Phase I: Day 11

Breakfast: Tuna fish and shrimp
Lunch: Big salad from cafeteria at work
Dinner: Burger in lettuce, salad and a glass of almond milk
Snack: Peanut butter
Dessert: Sugar-free chocolate mousse
Exercise: None

I was jonesin' for something sweet today so I got some sugar-free chocolate mousse from Safeway when I went grocery shopping. It's from a company called Sans Sucre (without sugar in French) and uses sucralose (Splenda) instead of real sugar. Meh. Sucralose leaves a funny after taste in mouth and the chocolate taste couldn't overcome it. Sucralose doesn't spike blood sugar so it's compatible with Phase I. I think I'll wait for real sugar next week.

I don't think my sugar cravings are quite gone so I should really stay in Phase I a bit longer, but I'm not sure that I can. I know that I don't want to because I'm ready to start eating fruit again. I should be able to keep my blood sugar under control with whole grain carbs and small amounts of fruit. Once my leg heals up, and it feels better today, I should be able to start exercising again. My goal is to get ripped like John Rambo in case I'm called upon to rescue some American P.O.W.'s from Southeast Asia.

Just three more days and then I can enter the less restrictive Phase II. Ah. I can't wait.

2 comments:

rly said...

keep it up!

splenda isn't too bad once you get used to it. out of all of them, i'd say it's the best tasting one. i use it in my coffee every day. i ran out once and started using regular sugar for a few days and when i switched back, i could taste it but again... after a few days, you get used to it. even when i used real sugar (when i ran out of splenda), *that* actually tasted a bit funny to me at first too!

Jeremy said...

Hmmm...I'm not sure it's the kind of taste I want to get used to. It has a strange, almost metallic taste to it. It's hard for me to describe. I have more tastebuds than most people (I can't eat really bitter stuff) so maybe that's my problem.

I'm not a big fan of unnatural food products as well. I try to be careful about what goes into my body, but I wanted a dessert last night since I spent most of the past two days thinking about cakes and brownies and cookies. That means I should probably extend Phase I, but that's too hardcore.