Saturday, July 19, 2008

New exercise program

As a follow-up to the last post, I've been thinking about how I'm going to get ripped. I will continue to follow the South Beach diet, but I know that I need to add an exercise component. Walking to work is great, but shouldn't count as exercise. I need something to increase my resting metabolism so that I burn fat when I'm at work. My body composition scale measures resting metabolism and I record it, but I haven't been posting it with my beefcake updates. I'll start doing that tomorrow.

I've been reading online and a great way to increase your resting metabolism is to incorporate interval training. Your body is very good at equilibrating to a constant load so you need to vary the intensity of the exercise or the muscles used. Interval training might involving running as fast as you can for 30 seconds, walking or jogging for 90 seconds and then repeating the cycle. Apparently, if you can do more than five or six cycles then you're not running hard enough. Heh. Obviously my knee can't take another more than a stroll, but it's not going to be sore or weak forever. I need to find a track around here where I can do this. I used to be pretty fast, but slowed down as I got heavier. I can still be fast in bursts, but I'd like to be able to be fast all the time. It'll make frisbee and basketball more fun for sure. I might need to get some new cross-training shoes because mine are pretty old and a bit worn out. I need new basketball shoes as well so I probably should make a trip to Foot Locker and open up the wallet.

Also in my research I came across the unfortunately named Swedish version of interval training, fartlek. My boss is Swedish so I'll have to ask him about it. It means speed play, but sounds like something you wouldn't want to discuss with your grandma.

No comments: